Friday, June 25, 2010

Saina smashes into 3rd place

Time for three cheers? “Not yet,” said city shuttler Saina Nehwal, keeping her emotions in control after breaking into the top three of world badminton, the rankings of which were released on Thursday.

“I am glad to be in the top three but the three cheers can wait until Sunday — as I aim to complete a hat-trick of titles,” Saina, who won the Indian Open Grand Prix Gold event in Chennai earlier this month and the Singapore Open Super Series last Sunday, told this newspaper from Jakarta.

She is currently participating in the Indonesian Open. On Thursday the defending champion def-eated Bulgaria’s Petya Nedelcheva 21-12, 21-17 to advance into the quarterfinals.

Her latest ranking notwithstanding, the Hyderabad shuttler has her feet firmly on the ground. “It was only when I won two consecutive titles recently that I realised I could climb up the rankings. Before that it (improving the rankings) did not feature in my plans because I was concentrating on playing fewer tournaments this year and focussing more on my training,” Saina said.

“Previously, my performance was limited to quarters and semi-finals but winning titles has made me more confident. However, with the No. 3 rank there will be more pressure and expectations to be met,” added the Arjuna and Padmashree recipient.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics Clicky