Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thanks DC, now the Worlds: Saina

A rousing reception got Hyderabad shuttler Saina Nehwal emotional as she arrived at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport here on Tuesday.

Saina, who returned to the city with three titles in three weeks — Indian Open Grand Prix Gold, Singapore Open Super Series and Indonesia Open Super Series — was eager to get home before she addressed the media at the Pullela Gopichand Academy.

“There are a lot of people I wish to thank for my achievements. Gopichand (sir) has always been there behind every success. It is still hard to believe that I am world No.3,” said Saina.

“In such a short span, he made me a top player,” said the 20-year-old of her coach, adding, “I would like to thank Deccan Chronicle for their support since August. It’s almost a year and I am really greatful to them for recognising my talent. I am really lucky and blessed.” Saina spoke on a variety of topics. Excerpts:

On her ranking: I am very happy to reach the top 3 but it’s time I start working more hard and winning more tournaments rather than concentrate on ranking.

Being World No.3 does not give me permission to skip practice or stop training. In fact, I will be training more rigourously now.

On the hat-trick: This feat is special because I don’t know when I will again win three in a row in three weeks. Last year was special because it was my first Super Series title.

On the gruelling schedule: It was very hectic for me. I was physically tired but my mental strength got me going. I am happy to have lived up to every one’s expectation. The motivation level goes up after every victory. Now, I have to stay focused and keep the momentum going.

The toughest one: The Indonesian Open. It was the last of three. So obviously I was tired. But again, when I look back, I think I had a really good time in every match I played, I’ll cherish all the 15 wins in the last three weeks.

On the upcoming events: Now, I’ll concentrate on the World Championships, the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. All I know is that I will have to give 100 per cent from my side. I will improve on my weak areas especially considering the weak points of other top players who I have played before. However, one cannot keep winning all tournaments. What is more important for me is that I remain injury-free.

Motivating factor: Making the quarterfinals of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Since then I started believing that I can do it. I can even say that I have overcome the Chinese threat. I am no more worried. In fact, India is doing much better with the number of players performing well on the international circuit.

International players will have a different opinion about India now. Jwala (Gutta) and V. Diju did very well at the Indian Open, Kashyap reached the semifinals, Guru Sai Dutt was in the quarterfinals. So, it would not be wrong to say we are emerging as a strong force.

Badminton is getting recognition. There is a lot of talent here. I was amazed to see so many kids at the summer camp this season. There are so many who now follow the sport. I am once again thankful to Deccan Chronicle for promoting badminton apart from cricket.

On being a youth icon: There are so many youngsters who look up to me. Many follow my game too. Kids from the academy and elsewhere draw inspiration from me. So there are a lot of expectation to meet.

On being compared with cricketers and badminton great Prakash Padukone: I would take that as a compliment but it is not right to compare. I am happy with what I have achieved for my state and country and hope to continue winning more titles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Clicky Web Analytics Clicky